Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charity Forum

Willow HomeWillow Home  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Latest imagesLatest images  HomeHome  

Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue

Go down 
+4
Karlie
NicnBuddy
Drab
sussex
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sussex

Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01 2011, 22:13

Ralph was back at the vets today... here is his update

Ralph has been to see the vet, Mr. Mills today for more X Rays,he was also castrated and micro chipped.
Unfortunately the X rays of his left elbow joint show no improvement. So, in 2 weeks time, Mr. Mills will use a camera to explore the joint to see if there is any cartilage present.

If there is then hopefully time will heal. But if not, as Mr. Mills thinks, then Ralph will go on to have an operation to remove slivers of bone from the radius and will then spend the next 2 months on lead only exercise and no pain medication.
Ralph has to use the leg in controlled exercise to force the bone together and will be in considerable pain and push the joint back into correct alignment.

Mr. Mills has said in the long term this is the best solution and has said he has performed this operation with a high degree of success, as with all ops nothing is guaranteed.

Poor Ralph has a few horrible months coming and hopefully then he will be able to run.
He now weighs 30kg but that's not carrying any spare flesh so he's getting to be a big lad.
Through all that he's been through he is still 1 very happy boy who loves everyone.
Mr. Mills commented on his demeanour and how good he is even with the pain that he has suffered so far.
Well done to Macala and family too for helping Ralph on his journey, its not been easy and won't be for a while
Back to top Go down
Drab
Top Dog
Top Dog
Drab

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02 2011, 07:06

The poor poor boy. Lets hope that things start to heal naturally and he wont have to have the op, i think that they cope with the pain but it'll be the lead walks and no racing around that will be the hardest thing.
Lets hope that after all the little lad (or big lad Rolling Eyes ) has been through that there is a fantastic home waiting for him at the end of this.
Back to top Go down
sussex

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18 2011, 12:13

Subject: Re: Ralph's story Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:19 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday Ralph had his operation and had a sliver of bone removed to realign his elbow joint. Ralph will only be on a restricted exercise and physio regime for 2 to 3 months. All this with just icepacks for pain relief. This will make sure he doesn't leap around or twist on it too because it will hurt. Poor Ralph has to go through this pain just so he can run.
His Mum says....Not seeing him when he was first rescued but seeing his amazing progress since we got him, it is heart wrenching to think how much pain he is going to be in tomorrow but it will all be for the greater good and only thanks to all the support of those who have given to his Help Ralph Run and Sussex Rescue. So a big THANK YOU to everyone x

Any donations to help us pay the Orthopaedic vet would be fantastic.

Before his op at the vets
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 R4
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 R3

After
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 R1
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 R2
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 R

As you can see from my photos I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself.
This BIG pain meds plaster on my side itches like crazy and I have tried to scratch it off

Micropore gave up the ghost so he's got red vet wrap on now
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 Rx

I know I've had a rough day but my mum thinks I'm a tad spoilt
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 Rx1

I'm not feeling quite so great but I'm glad to be home
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 Rx2

My dad trying to say sorry for how much my leg hurts Sad
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 Rx3

Thank you from all the team at Sussex & Ralph for your wishes & kind donations x

Back to top Go down
michelle c
Top Dog
Top Dog
michelle c

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18 2011, 13:52

hope he is much better soon x
Back to top Go down
sussex

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 16:11

Today was 'make or break' day for Ralph. So with Macala and her mum we took Ralph for 8 week post op X Rays to Faversham. I have to say Macala and I were filled with apprehension as we returned for the verdict, knowing that if this op hadn't worked then Ralph would have to have his leg amputated.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Good News!!!!!!!!!! Mr. Wills was very pleased with the X rays, and I think its fair to say that the op was 95% successful.
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 DaVinciPrenticepreop Pre Op X ray

On the right X ray you can see the impingement by the head of ulna (outside edge) on the joint, in time this would have worn away completely and the ulna would have crumbled because he was taking all his weight on it

Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 DaVinciPrenticepostop Post Op X ray

Here you can see where the 2 slivers of bone were removed from the radius and already the joint gap is looking MUCH better and fitting into the joint in a better position.

Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 DaVinciPrentice8weekspostop Today's X ray 8 weeks post op

You can see how the joint is fitting nicely, Mr.Wills would have liked a little bit more rotation but that could come as the radius heals. The outside edge of the joint has a good gap and there is some new cartilidge forming plus on the inside of the joint new bone is forming where Ralph's body is adapting....all good news. The 'gap' between the slivers of bone is where the 'old' bone died and sloughed away and now there is cartilagenous tissue which will calcify and form new bone.

So Ralph has another month or so until he stops limping and can then run free. He was a bit dozy when he got home and Woody, his best mate, wouldn't leave his side so here he is.
Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 002-6 Where did that cat go?

Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 003-6 I'm just so brave!

I can't tell you the relief we felt when we were given the good news and then it was frantic texting to spread the good news.
Ralph is coming to the Fun Day but he won't be up to running or having a go in the fun classes, he's 'saving' himeslf for next year.

Well done Sussex, 1 happy dog saved and going onto lead a very happy productive life cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
NicnBuddy
Top Dog
Top Dog
NicnBuddy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 16:15

This is fantstic news! cheers

What a lucky dog Ralph is, well done everyone! He is so handsome, and so is Woody I love you
Back to top Go down
michelle c
Top Dog
Top Dog
michelle c

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 16:58

brilliant news cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Drab
Top Dog
Top Dog
Drab

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 18:23

Absolutely fantastic news, what a fantastic vet you have, what a fantastic life Ralph will have but most of all what fantastic fosterer's to take on such a huge commitment, well done all concerned!!!!
Back to top Go down
Karlie
Top Dog
Top Dog
Karlie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue   Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11 2011, 17:34

Great news...so pleased to see he is doing so well. Well done to everyone involved. Just one little thing.....how big are his ears!! affraid They just make him look sooooooo cute Smile
Back to top Go down

Hello from Sussex German Shepherd Rescue
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2